1. “I’ve learned a lot about good and evil. They are not always what they appear to be.”
— Charles Van Doren
2. “I hoped that it would be possible to slide slowly from my public life back to the life of teaching and writing that I had always wanted. But things didn’t work out that way.”
3. “But knowledge is not as much a prerequisite to understanding as is commonly supposed. We do not have to know everything about something in order to understand it; too many facts are often as much of an obstacle to understanding as too few.”
4. “I cannot take back one word or action; the past does not change for anyone.”
5. “Because the world is radically new, the ideal encyclopedia should be radical, too.”
6. “He recognized that, first, the rich are always desirous of governing for their own benefit, and second that the people can always turn against them and become a mob, taking things into its own hands. As always, the mean between extremes is to be sought.”
7. “I have deceived my friends, and I had millions of them.”
8. “I worked hard at memorizing lists of facts and figures, and carried with me a book of facts.”
9. “Education in the West, particularly higher education in America, has lost the ability to see the universe from very far away.”
10. “My total winnings after 14 appearances were $129,000.”
11. “Some of you read with me 40 years ago a portion of Aristotle’s Ethics, a selection of passages that describe his idea of happiness. You may not remember too well.”
12. “There is a sense in which we moderns are inundated with facts to the detriment of understanding.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 10 free pictures with Charles Van Doren Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2023 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.