1. “The world is made of stairs, and there are those who go up and those who go down.”
— Ed McBain
2. “Changing writing styles is like an actor taking on a different part.”
3. “Readers are what it’s all about, aren’t they? If not, why am I writing?”
4. “I know that all cops are not sterling characters. But you have to have someone to root for. I balance it with rotten cops who will take a bribe, who will beat somebody up.”
5. “I never take ideas from the headlines. I feel that if a story is good enough, a real story that is, then it’s already been covered by the media, and if it’s not good enough, why would I want to bother with it?”
6. “Its a matter of style. The Evan Hunter style and the Ed McBain style are very, very different.”
7. “I enjoy what I do every minute of the day, even when the going gets tough. When I first began writing, I used to work at a desk in the bedroom, of a small development house. My three sons all under the age of 3 would come running in and out of the room every minute.”
8. “I would like to win the Pulitzer Prize. I would like to win the Nobel Prize. I would like to win a Tony award for the Broadway musical I’m now working on. Aside from these, my aspirations are modest ones.”
9. “McKinty is an exciting new talent.”
10. “I’ve never been a cop nor hope to be a cop, thanks.”
11. “Depending on what I’m working on, I come to the writing desk with entirely different mindsets. When I change form one to the other, it’s as if another writer is on the scene.”
12. “I have a book coming out in September, for example, where the plot concerns counterfeiting, and I had to do a lot of research on that. Or on any legal matters, for example, I have to do a lot of research online.”
13. “I would certainly never suggest that any lesbian should be ashamed of her sexual preference.”
14. “I wanted to be an artist. I was studying art. I wanted to be a great painter. When I went into the Navy, there wasn’t much to draw at sea. So I began writing, and I began reading a lot.”
15. “I began using pseudonyms early in my career, when I was being paid a quarter a cent a word for my work, and when I had to write a lot to earn a living. Sometimes I had three or four stories in a single magazine without the editor knowing they were all by me.”
16. “A detective sees death in all the various forms at least five times a week.”
17. “I try to keep all my novels in print. Sometimes publishers don’t agree with me as to their worth.”
18. “We got enough champagne here to start a France.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 15 free pictures with Ed McBain Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2021 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.