1. “The most emphatic place in a clause or sentence is the end. This is the climax; and, during the momentary pause that follows, that last word continues, as it were, to reverberate in the reader’s mind. It has, in fact, the last word.”
— F. L. Lucas
2. “This, indeed, is one of the eternal paradoxes of both life and literature-that without passion little gets done; yet, without control of that passion, its effects are largely ill or null.”
3. “And how is clarity to be achieved? Mainly by taking trouble and by writing to serve people rather than to impress them.”
4. “Great fear is concealed under daring.”
5. “Most style is not honest enough.”
6. “The simile sets two ideas side by side; in the metaphor they become superimposed.”
7. “The more populous the world and the more intricate its structure, the greater must be its fundamental insecurity. A world-structure too elaborately scientific, if once disrupted by war, revolution, natural cataclysm or epidemic, might collapse into a chaos not easily rebuilt.”
8. “The only hope I can see for the future depends on a wiser and braver use of the reason, not a panic flight from it.”
9. “At Munich we sold the Czechs for a few months grace, but the disgrace will last as long as history.”
10. “Apart from a few simple principles, the sound and rhythm of English prose seem to me matters where both writers and readers should trust not so much to rules as to their ears.”
11. “I have a wife, I have sons; all these hostages have I given to fortune.”
12. “A man can make himself put down what comes, even if it seems nauseating nonsense; tomorrow some of it may not seem wholly nonsense at all.”
13. “It seems to me as natural and necessary to keep notes, however brief, of one’s reading, as logs of voyages or photographs of one’s travels. For memory, in most of us, is a liar with galloping consumption.”
14. “Since in the long run deception is likely to be found out, your character had better not only seem good, but be it.”
15. “Might was the measure of right.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 15 free pictures with F. L. Lucas Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2023 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.