1. “There is no adequate definition for creative writing, any more than it is possible to describe pain or flavor or color.”
— Fannie Hurst
2. “It takes a clever man to turn cynic and a wise man to be clever enough not to.”
3. “I would rather regret what I have done than what I have not.”
4. “I’m not happy when I’m writing, but I’m more unhappy when I’m not.”
5. “A woman has to be twice as good as a man to go half as far.”
6. “Some people think they are worth a lot of money just because they have it.”
7. “Family. A snug kind of word.”
8. “The grand canyon which yawns between the writer’s concept of what he wants to capture in words and what comes through is a cruel abyss.”
9. “Nervous hands as if the fingers were dripping from them like icicles.”
10. “Luscious feet that listened to the soil and stole its secrets.”
11. “Art transcends war. Art is the language of God and war is the barking of men. Beethoven is bigger than war.”
12. “I loathe all this blind rushing pell-mell into a struggle arranged by the mighty minority and paid for with the lives of young men who are drugged on trumped-up ideals.”
13. “The vast army of women seeking divorce are mainly after easy alimony from men they have ceased to love – surely one of the most despicable forms of barter that can exchange human hands.”
14. “Oh – oh, why is it that the members of a family feel privileged to treat one another with a cruelty they would not exhibit to the merest stranger?”
15. “The literary wiseacres prognosticate in many languages, as they have throughout so many centuries, setting the stage for new hautmonde in letters and making up the public’s mind.”
16. “But suppose, asks the student of the professor, we follow all your structural rules for writing, what about that something else that brings the book alive? What is the formula for that? The formula for that is not included in the curriculum.”
17. “Life owes me a living worth living. Yes, Eden regarded life as her debtor, she its relentless paymaster.”
18. “Few enjoy noisy overcrowded functions. But they are a gesture of goodwill on the part of host or hostess, and also on the part of guests who submit to them.”
19. “The maimed bodies aren’t the worst. That’s the easy way to hate war. The safe way. I – hate it just as much for the maimed souls that stay at home...”
20. “Any writer worth the name is always getting into one thing or getting out of another thing.”
21. “Some authors have what amounts to a metaphysical approach. They admit to inspiration. Sudden and unaccountable urgencies to writecatapult them out of sleep and bed. For myself, I have never awakened to jot down an idea that was acceptable the following morning.”
22. “It would be a fallacy to deduce that the slow writer necessarily comes up with superior work. There seems to be scant relationshipbetween prolificness and quality.”
23. “The creative writer is usually captive to his next book.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 20 free pictures with Fannie Hurst Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2023 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.