1. “God created man in his own image. And man, being a gentleman, returned the favor.”
— Henri Rousseau
2. “Nothing makes me so happy as to observe nature and to paint what I see.”
3. “I felt before I thought.”
4. “I have always believed that good is only beauty put into practice.”
5. “It is not I that am drawing, it is this thing at the end of my hand.”
6. “The first man to fence in a piece of land, saying “this is mine” and who found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society.”
7. “When I go out into the countryside and see the sun and the green and everything flowering, I say to myself “Yes indeed, all that belongs to me!””
8. “Hatred as well as love, renders its votaries credulous.”
9. “If it is reason that forms man then it is the emotions that guide her.”
10. “The landscapist lives in silence.”
11. “The universe was born restless and has never since been still.”
12. “If a king tries to start a war, a mother should go to him and forbid it.”
13. “The happiest is he who suffers the least pain; the most miserable, he who enjoys the least pleasure.”
14. “It is often said that my heart is too open for my own good.”
15. “From the first moment of life, men ought to begin learning to deserve to live.”
16. “The passage from the state of nature to the civil state produces a very remarkable change in man, by substituting justice for instinct in his conduct.”
17. “Cities are the sinks of the human race.”
18. “There are two ways of expressing things; one is to show them crudely, the other is to evoke them artistically.”
19. “The more humanity owes the poor man, the more society denies him.”
20. “Politeness requires this thing; decorum that; ceremony has its forms, and fashion its laws, and these must always follow, never the promptings of our own nature.”
21. “The interest and the feelings are not due to colors; the lines of a painting that move us move us even more in a print.”
22. “Little privations are easily endured when the heart is better treated than the body.”
23. “The principal problem I had during the five years I ran the Caisse – and I bet you that it will be the same problem for my successor – is the retention, recruitment and training of competent personnel.”
24. “The severity of penalties is only a vain resource, invented by little minds in order to substitute terror for that respect which they have no means of obtaining.”
25. “It is not the criminal things which are hardest to confess, but the ridiculous and shameful.”
26. “Nature’s instructions are always slow; those of men are generally premature.”
27. “I cannot now change my style, which I acquired, as you can imagine, by dint of labour.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 25 free pictures with Henri Rousseau Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2023 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.