1. “A smile is the universal welcome.”
— Max Eastman
Smile Quotes, Quotes About Laughter
2. “It is the ability to take a joke, not make one, that proves you have a sense of humor.”
3. “People who demand neutrality in any situation are usually not neutral but in favor of the status quo.”
4. “A liberal mind is a mind that is able to imagine itself believing anything.”
5. “The worst enemy of human hope is not brute facts, but men of brains who will not face them.”
6. “Patriotism is one of the unalterable facts of man’s nature. It is a virtue if you like it, and a vice if you don’t like it.”
7. “I don’t know why it is we are in such a hurry to get up when we fall down. You might think we would lie there and rest for a while.”
8. “Humor is the instinct for taking pain playfully.”
9. “The real guarantee of freedom is an equilibrium of social forces in conflict, not the triumph of any one force.”
10. “Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. What puts man in a higher state of evolution is that he has got his laugh on the right end.”
11. “A joke is not a thing but a process, a trick you play on the listener’s mind. You start him off toward a plausible goal, and then by a sudden twist you land him nowhere at all or just where he didn’t expect to go.”
12. “Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.”
13. “A poet in history is divine, but a poet in the next room is a joke.”
14. “The defining function of the artist is to cherish consciousness.”
15. “There is something self-defeating in the too-conscious pursuit of pleasure.”
16. “Robert Benchley has a style that is weak and lies down frequently to rest.”
17. “Laughter is, after speech, the chief thing that holds society together.”
18. “Classic art was the art of necessity: modern romantic art bears the stamp of caprice and chance.”
19. “There is truth in the high opinion that in so far as a man conforms, he ceases to exist.”
20. “Emotion is the surest arbiter of a poetic choice, and it is the priest of all supreme unions in the mind.”
21. “History is not an escalator.”
22. “I wonder how many revolutions will be required before grown-up people learn not to say to children, ‘I had those same ideas when I was your age.”
23. “Laughter puts your brain, your central nervous system and your whole being into a state of free play.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 20 free pictures with Max Eastman Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2021 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.