1. “It’s not about perfection. What’s a perfect painting? What’s interesting about a perfect painting?”
— Peter Doig
2. “There could be a hundred paintings in every one painting, depending on when you stop.”
3. “What is bad painting? Picabia made some deliberately bad paintings, but they were by him, so great in a way.”
4. “Painting becomes interesting when it becomes timeless.”
5. “I love Trinidad and I love living there, but it’s quite harsh.”
6. “I constantly have to negotiate with my doubts.”
7. “I don’t feel any real animosity towards critics when they write negative things. I think some are more perceptive than others. Some are very knowledgeable about painting. But it isn’t something I have any influence over, so there isn’t any point in worrying about it.”
8. “How do you complete a painting, really? There are paintings by so many different artists that are interesting precisely because they haven’t really been completed.”
9. “I don’t think money can help you become a better painter, for sure. You can have all the studios you want; it won’t help you make a better painting.”
10. “It’s still an escape for me, painting, so it also takes me elsewhere. I don’t think I would do it otherwise.”
11. “As an artist, you are aware there is this strange money market out there, but you have no sense of how it works.”
12. “You cannot just be working in a vast, air-conditioned loft space and think you are going to make a decent painting. Francis Bacon had a special studio built, and he felt completely emasculated in there. I have to be somewhere comfortable.”
13. “I would never finish a painting if I didnt have a deadline.”
14. “Seeing a play, listening to music – you’ll always contextualize it in your own way. Whoever you are, wherever you are; I think that’s really important.”
15. “I also learned that you are affected by your environment, even if you try not to be. Color, light that is, matters because you want to do justice to it and also you get excited by it.”
16. “I’m not one of those artists having people there lying around on their paintings, you know, like Hockney or whoever.”
17. “I think if I was Trinidadian, I would latch more on to the myths and romanticise the place more. I don’t think it’s my place to do that – they’re not really mine. I’m an outsider.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 15 free pictures with Peter Doig Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2021 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.