1. “For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.”
2. “If horses had Gods, they would look like horses.”
3. “Ethiopians imagine their gods as black and snub-nosed; Thracians blue-eyed and red-haired. But if horses or lions had hands, or could draw and fashion works as men do, horses would draw the gods shaped like horses and lions like lions, making the gods resemble themselves.”
4. “God is one, greatest of gods and men, not like mortals in body or thought.”
5. “Truly the gods have not from the beginning revealed all things to mortals, but by long seeking, mortals discover what is better.”
6. “If cows and horses had hands and could draw, cows would draw gods that look like cows and horses would draw gods that look like horses.”
7. “It takes a wise man to recognize a wise man.”
8. “Homer and Hesiod attributed to the gods all things which are disreputable and worthy of blame when done by men; and they told of them many lawless deeds, stealing, adultery, and deception of each other.”
9. “If God had not made brown honey, men would think figs much sweeter than they do.”
10. “If oxen and horses and lions could draw and paint, they would delineate the gods in their own image.”
11. “Even if a man should chance to speak the most complete truth, yet he himself does not know it; all things are wrapped in appearances.”
12. “All men begin their learning with Homer.”
13. “The Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black the Thracians that theirs have light blue eyes and red hair.”
14. “In the beginning the gods did not at all reveal all things clearly to mortals, but by searching men in the course of time find them out better.”
15. “No human being will ever know the truth, for even if they happen to say it by chance, they would not even know they had done so.”
16. “This upper limit, of earth at our feet is visible and touches the air, but below it reaches to infinity.”
17. “All things that come into being and grow are earth and water.”
18. “For we are all sprung from earth and water.”
19. “The sun comes into being each day from little pieces of fire that are collected.”
20. “No man knows distinctly anything, and no man ever will.”
21. “If an ox could paint a picture, his god would look like an ox.”
22. “Pure truth no man has seen, nor ever shall know.”
23. “If cattle and horses, or lions, had hands...”
24. “Men always makes gods in their own image.”
25. “It isn’t right to judge strength as better than good wisdom.”
26. “One god there is, in no way like mortal creatures either in bodily form or in the thought of his mind. The whole of him sees, the whole of him thinks, the whole of him hears. He stays always motionless in the same place; it is not fitting that he should move about now this way, now that.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 25 free pictures with Xenophanes Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2021 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.