1. “Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian Kernighan
2. “Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming.”
3. “Don’t document bad code – rewrite it.”
4. “90% of the functionality delivered now is better than 100% delivered never.”
5. “The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with judiciously placed print statements.”
6. “Mechanical rules are never a substitute for clarity of thought.”
7. “Believe the terrain, not the map.”
8. “Do what you think is interesting, do something that you think is fun and worthwhile, because otherwise you won’t do it well anyway.”
9. “C is a razor-sharp tool, with which one can create an elegant and efficient program or a bloody mess.”
10. “An effective way to test code is to exercise it at its natural boundaries.”
11. “If you had done something twice, you are likely to do it again.”
12. “Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs.”
13. “Get the weirdnesses into the data where you can manipulate them easily, and the regularity into the code because regular code is a lot easier to work with.”
14. “Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.”
15. “If you’re as clever as you can be when you write it, how will you ever debug it?”
16. “Trivia rarely affect efficiency. Are all the machinations worth it, when their primary effect is to make the code less readable?”
17. “As we said in the preface to the first edition, C “wears well as one’s experience with it grows.” With a decade more experience, we still feel that way.”
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 15 free pictures with Brian Kernighan Quotes.
All of the images on this page were created with QuoteFancy Studio.
Use QuoteFancy Studio to create high-quality images for your desktop backgrounds, blog posts, presentations, social media, videos, posters and more.
© 2023 Quotefancy. All rights reserved.